Friday, September 30, 2011

S e p a r a t e from suffering?

    My teacher in my medical nutrition therapy class said something that really got me thinking... We were talking about why illness occurs, both the physical and the spiritual side. As a follow-up to that class discussion, she continued on to talk about how we, as dietitians, will find ourselves in situations where we will be counselor, confidant, and comforter to our patients as they adjust to a new lifestyle. She told us, "you can't be separate from a person's suffering in order to be effective" ... Then she pointed us to Phil 1:29 which says, "For it has been granted for you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe on Him but also suffer for His sake."
  Then, I got to thinking.... Jesus was willing to suffer for us; Jesus is a God of comfort, Jesus is our friend in times of trouble; Jesus told us to weep with those who weep and laugh with those who laugh; Jesus told us to love our neighbor as ourselves... I'm to be like Jesus. I'm to be a light when all my patient can see is darkness in his or her present situation... I can't be separate from their sufferings if I'm to reach them with the hope that lies within me.

Separate from suffering?
No, sharing in suffering in order to be effective in breaking through the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment